Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Strom Thurmond's Biracial Daughter:
'Remarkable' Life A Complex Story Of Race, Family Shared By Many


This is a very interesting article, from a historical perspective about a tragic but ultimately positive life. Mrs. Washington-Williams, 79, is biracial but considers herself Black only. She acknowledges that this is because of the culture she was raised in. She is a mother, grandmother and great-grandmother.

It is unfortunate that 'One Drop Rule' mentality, the times she grew up in and the lack of acknowledgment of her by her father, the late Senator Thurmond, prevented her from experiencing the fullness of both cultures. It makes me a bit more grateful that enough progress has been made that my wife and I can raise our boys with full knowledge of both of their cultures and even the Native American heritage that my wife and my boys share without the fear and intimidation of times past. If there had been an internet during the pre-civil rights days, I have no doubt that sites like IR Haven would have been taboo if not outright forbidden and illegal.

Best Wishes,
Allen

No comments: