Monday, June 20, 2005

Post-Father's Day Post

Oops, I forgot to post about Father's Day. My bad...

My own father passed away from cancer in 1997. As time passes, I notice that there has been a shift in my focus from my role as son to my role as father. I'm not sure I like the fact that it's become easier to forget about my own father around Father's Day but I'm not going to beat myself up over it, either. It makes sense, it's logical.

My own job as father becomes more complex as my boys get older and into more interesting social circumstances, at school and in life. I also have the responsibility and privilege to answer their questions regarding faith, prayer, the Bible, God and Jesus (and if I don't know the answer, which will happen some day, I can talk with my pastor about those questions). Equally important, however, is that my wife and I are striving to walk this Christian walk in front of them because everyone knows: talk is cheap.

Concerning Dad, I did think of him some yesterday. It was more reflecting in general, not about specific Father's Days. I think it is healthy to remember him. Sometimes, I dream about him…and it really is like he's alive again. When I do dream about him, it's always in the present or near-future, never past experiences or memories. I wonder why that is? Anyway, I'd like to think he'd be pleased with the kind of father I've become, with the help of the Lord.

We woke up early this Father's Day to go to church. The women and youth of our church put on a spectacular Father's Day program. My wife both sang with the choir and played viola on two of the songs, including during a very long (but appropriate) gift presentation by the pastor's wife to all of the men of the church and the male guests. My sons were in the "Children's Church" segment of the program in which those kids sang one song; then, my boys sat with me the rest of the program. The program was very uplifting, inspiring and powerful, very well-organized. The program was followed by a wonderful Father's Day sermon by our pastor.

After church (and a switch to more casual clothes), we went over to Angel's parents' house and visited with them for several hours. A little while after we arrived, Angel's sister and her sister’s husband and their daughters came by to visit, too. We had a fun time and thoroughly enjoyed Angel's dad's scrumptious barbecue (it was my first time to have barbecued mutton -- which went great with the barbecued chicken, ranch style beans and salad). Although 10+ years ago, things started out pretty rocky, I now enjoy a very good and satisfying relationship with my father-in-law and he has a great love for my sons.

My father-in-law even helped introduce my oldest son, Adam, to golf (when we arrived, he was watching the U.S. Open). A bit later, Adam used his grandfather's putter and knocked a nerf-golfball into a cup – a hole in one! Adam really studied the golfers on TV and his grandfather. I think he got nervous in trying to repeat his earlier feat but he really enjoyed himself. His brother, Josey , also took his hand at the practice golfing. For a 6-year old, he did pretty good! (Keep in mind, this was all in a living room.)

So, by the time we got back home, we were all tired.

It had been a good Father's Day. A belated Happy Father's Day to all the dads (and dads-to-be) in the blogosphere!

Best Wishes,
Allen

No comments: