Saturday, November 13, 2004

More About Non-Dairy Cooking

You'll have to excuse me regarding the recent entries on non-dairy cooking but there is some relevance to this for the readers of IR Haven.

According to the National Dairy Council:

The prevalence of lactose maldigestion (or lactase non-persistence) varies among different ethnic and racial groups in the U.S.:
  • 90% of Asian Americans
  • 80% of African Americans
  • 62-100% of Native Americans
  • 53% of Mexican Americans
  • 15% of Caucasians.

In all, about 25% of the U.S. population – or an estimated 30 to 50 million American adults – have low lactase levels or are lactose maldigesters. A diagnosis of lactose maldigestion doesn't necessarily mean that the individual will experience intolerance symptoms.


Anyway, I have found that while there are some places on the web with some, shall we say, interesting non-dairy recipes, not too many of them were down-to-Earth recipes that meat-eaters like me can enjoy. And I say that with all due respect to vegetarians and vegans.

What I've found is that any recipe that calls for milk and butter can be safely and effectively replaced with Silk soymilk (vanilla flavor is the most like "real" milk) and non-dairy margarine. It's really that simple!

This morning, I made some delicious pancakes using Silk. My non-dairy margarine had, shall we say, expired so (after I tossed the margarine) I fried the pancakes in a small amount of Wesson blended cooking oil. It passed the wife and oldest son test! Big, light, fluffy and (most important) yummy!

Best Wishes,
Allen

No comments: