Friday, November 14, 2003

Clarification: What Star Trek Geek Means To Me (And Other Novelties)

When I woke up this morning, I realized I hadn't exactly defined what I meant by "Star Trek geek" in yesterday's blog entry. To clarify, I have enjoyed the Star Trek television shows and movies for the most part. I will admit to videotaping my share of Star Trek episodes during the original runs of Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and the first season of Enterprise -- and well, what Star Trek fan doesn't own a copy of the movie Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan?

Aside from that, I have only been to one Star Trek convention, when invited by a friend, in the early 90's. And for the record, I have never been interested in dressing up like any of the Star Trek characters!

Over the years, I think I've read about 5 or 6 Star Trek paperback books (including the two from this week), despised all the Star Trek comic book series (if the artists can't come close to a resemblance of the actors, why bother?) and followed a relative few Trek-related websites (TrekWeb seems to be the best and most comprehensive with the most care from its webmaster -- but The Dancing Shatners is my all-time favorite).

On the other hand, I don't buy novelties like the Star Trek action figures, Klingon dictionaries, replicas of phasers or pint-sized starships. I also don't agree with all the philosophies, story plots or the general direction (some might say "spiraling out of control") that the Trek franchise has been heading for at least 5 years.

The bottom line, for me, is that I have a fondness -- and a lot of memories -- of Star Trek but, in all honesty, it's an interest/hobby that I should eventually leave in the past...kind of like Star Trek itself should.

Best Wishes,
Allen

Matthew 6: 19 - 21 (King James Version - Jesus' words in red)

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.