This may sound oversimplified but it is SO good, especially when you don't have a lot of time or ideas for a meal that can feed the whole family!
- 1/2 onion (more if preferred) chopped semi-fine into thin chunks
- 1 lg. garlic clove, chopped fine
- black pepper (2 to 3 teaspoons)
- Seasoning salt (1 to 2 teaspoons)
- Olive Oil (2 tablespoons)
- 4 to 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 links of sausage, sliced to bite-size
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (I chose one with carrots, squash, zuccini, green beans and red and green peppers)
NOTE: I own a small electric "George Foreman" grill ($20), which is great for the kitchen on the fly, but any grill will do.
1. Say a little prayer (if you're so inclined -- it helps!)
2. Rinse chicken breasts.
3. Grill chicken breasts 1 - 2 minutes on each side, then remove from heat
4. Lightly season chicken breasts with seasoning salt on both sides
5. Slice chicken breasts into 1-inch chunks on a cutting board
6. In a large skillet, sautee onions and garlic in olive oil until somewhat carmelized
7. Add about 1 1/2 teaspoons of black pepper to sautee mixture and blend together
8. Add chicken breast chunks to sautee mixture and blend together, let chicken cook a minute or two
9. Add sausage to chicken and sautee mixture, blend thoroughly and let cook a few minutes, add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of black pepper
10. Add frozen vegetables straight from package, blend them underneath the already cooked meat
11. Let vegetables cook a minute or two then re-blend with meat
12. Cook vegetables until they look slightly softened from the heat then remove skillet from heat.
13. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Preparation time: Approximately 10 - 20 minutes (slightly more if using outside grill)
Cook time: Approximately 10 minutes
What I like about this recipe is that it gives the chicken that "grilled" taste, which goes well with the sausage, but adds a stir-fry element with the frozen vegetables. It's quick, cheap (I got all the ingredients for less than $15 at the grocery store), easy, healthy and it TASTES GREAT!!!
Suggested side-dishes: mashed potatoes, white rice or wild rice blend
Should I do a cook book? lol!