Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Iced In, With A Side Of Snow



Everyone's still home, icebound. As you can see, my family is in good spirits (click on the above picture to enlarge it to full-size. And you can click on any of the pictures to enlarge them). When you see our van, below, you'll see why we've been in no rush to go anywhere.



This is the back windshield of the van. This is at least 1/4" thick ice. I put warm water on it this morning and it didn't even make a dent in it!



This is the front windshield, which got even more ice and sleet. The driver's side door lock was frozen as well.



Even the tires had a layer of ice!



If you click on this picture, you'll see a better view of the snow. We haven't really had any accumulations of snow but to get it at all in Austin is very rare, so we enjoy it when it happens.

Well, I said when I had some pictures, I'd share. These are from about one hour ago. Enjoy!

Best Wishes,
Allen

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry, but I just had to laugh when I saw your pictures of the ice! I'm sure it's an unusual event for your part of the country, but here in Indiana we just throw some salt or kitty litter on the steps, and we have these things called "ice scrapers" for our car windows!

Allen said...

Never heard of using kitty litter, that's new. Yes, it's very unusual to get this level of frosting in this region. We at one time had an ice scraper but I think it got lost in our move. Even warm water wasn't doing much, as I mentioned in the post. Texans are more used to mild winters and atomic summers.