Friday, August 04, 2006

Not In The News Friday (NITNF)



NITNF will usually be a bit of trivia that I found interesting and thought you would like. It may be IR-related and it might not -- but should always be fun...or at least fascinating.

This interracial marriage doesn't come up in the news too often but they do make a cute couple. This week's topic: David Bowie and Iman (pictured with biracial daughter, Alexandria Zahra Jones).

Here's an interesting excerpt from this interview in June 2003:

Before Reality, Bowie had put out "Heathen" (2002), a record that reflected a spiritual crisis brought on by the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. Bowie, his wife-- the model Iman--and their daughter, Alexandria, who was born in 2000, live less than a mile from Ground Zero. He spoke movingly about the impact of that day and its aftermath.

"Of course, it had one foot astride that awful event in September. So that was quite a traumatic album to finish. This one hints at that, but it's not really trying to resolve any trauma. [September 11] did affect me and my family very much. We live down here."

Were you here on September 11?
"My wife and child were. I was up in Woodstock making the album. It was just unbearable that day--well, actually the next two or three days, coming back down and coming up against the cordon around that part of town. I had to get my wife to come to the barricades with a passport, so I could show the guy that I lived there. He said, 'I'm sorry, I know who you are, but I have to see...,' and all that. It was really weird. And that fine silt dust everywhere."

I never had seen New York so off its axis. What do you feel has been the aftermath?
"I think there's a new awareness in New York about our isolationist stance in the rest of the world. There is a realization that even though this is one of the most important cities in the world, others are watching us. I don't think we ever felt that before. There's a slight unease. We really felt freewheeling and that 'tomorrow belongs to us,' anything can happen. Now, there's not quite that swaying surge of hopefulness.

"I still love this town. I can't imagine living anywhere else. We've been here now, my wife and I, for 10 years. I realized the other day that I've lived in New York longer than I've lived anywhere else. It's amazing: I am a New Yorker. It's strange; I never thought I would be."

You always seemed rootless, a citizen of the world.
"I kind of thought I was. But, frankly, that changed when I met Iman. We got nesting!"

1 comment:

Zen said...

Good pick