Monday, March 01, 2004

Just Checking In...

I apologize that I haven't blogged in a couple of weeks. I've been pretty ill off and on since Thanksgiving 2003. I only found out last week that my immediate family has a history of lactose intolerance (being unable to digest milk and dairy products).

If you want to learn about lactose intolerance, the National Institutes of Health has a great webpage on it at http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/lactoseintolerance/

It's taken a lot of prayer and faith to constantly lean on the Lord when I've felt my worst (and just when I've felt pretty bad). I mean, it's not like I've just had a little bit of an upset stomach or some unpleasant gas as a result of dairy products. It's been an everyday struggle to keep weight on! I've lost about 20 pounds (that I had no desire to lose) since last November.

Some friends of mine from church were kind enough to do some research on my symptoms and suggested some changes in the foods I'm eating. I've already had to make changes in what I eat in order to avoid dairy products, so I'm going to make these changes at the same time.

According to my friends, this will be a "semi-vegetarian" approach: some meats like chicken or pork (and to drain the fats off of those) but no red meats, more vegetables and, like I said, no dairy products. I already have been using wheat bread for over 20 years, so no switch there. I'll also have to cut out carbonated drinks (such as sodas) and (Agh!) caffeine. The aim is to help me keep weight on and improve my overall health.

I want to make sure to add that my wife has been wonderfully supportive of me throughout this whole ordeal.

I'll keep you updated.

Best Wishes,
Allen

No comments: